Teacher : Ustadha Riffat (Monday to Wednesday) and Ustadha Attia (Thursday and Friday).
Teaching Assistants : Ustadha Thasnima (Monday and Tuesday) and Ustadha Shazia (Wednesday to Friday).
Welcome to Year 2!
We are looking forward to all the fantastic learning that we will be doing in Year 2 this year. We aim to make the learning in Year 2: creative, interactive and as practical as we can!
Some class information is as follows:
- Our P.E day is Thursday so please do remember to send your child in their P.E kit on this day.
- We will send out weekly homework which will consist of: a Monster Phonics booklet with your child's weekly spelling to practise, a reading book with their reading log book for you to record your comments, either a math game on ActiveLearn (log in details have been given to your child) or a maths worksheet for them to complete.
- Please note: You MUST return your children's Spelling log books and reading logs EVERY WEEK! Without these Logs we cannot issue your child's new books and spelling for the following week! Please do support your child to think of and write out sentences of at least 5 of their spelling words. Support them to look up the meanings of any of their spelling words that they do not know the meaning of.
- Homework will be given to your child on Friday's and we expect it back in school by Thursday. Please ensure that your child has their book bags in by Thursday ready to take their homework home on Friday.
- Spelling tests for year 2 will be on a Friday.
- Your child will get termly homework, which will be a homework grid where your child will get a choice of what homework they would like to complete and present.
- Please click on the icon for the holiday homework task:
Our Topic for this term is 'What a wonderful world'
Below are the Topic Page and the Homework choices for Year 2 this Half Term.
For topic page click below:
The grid is a table of homework activities relating to our topic. You must choose at least FOUR but if you wish to do more, then that’s brilliant! You have until 14th of February to finish your four pieces of homework. Have fun choosing and we look forward to seeing your finished work!
Click on the icon below for the homework grid:
We have started learning Phonics through a new scheme called Monster Phonics. Please click on the logo below for more information.
Below is a video explaining how Monster phonics accelerates learning and how it works:
Our sound of the week is
ti (sh- sound)
In year 2 we have 3 spelling groups. Each week your child's spelling words will be in their spelling logs with the date of their next spelling test. Children's spelling words consist of some words from their sound of the week and some high frequency words. Children will receive their spelling logs on Friday's and will have their spelling test the next Friday. Every week you will receive a slip with your child's spelling result and the words they need to practise.
Next weeks words are as follows (Please ask your child which group they are in)
Clever cookies: station, national, section, information, condition, collection, animals, never, next, first.
Whizz kids: station, motion, fiction, section, potion, mention, animals, never, next, first.
Brain boxes: station, motion, fiction, potion, back, from, children, him.
In maths we follow the Abacus ActiveLearn scheme. To get more information about the scheme please click here. Every week children will either be allocated an online game or will have a maths sheet stuck in their homework books which links to their maths lessons from that week. To access the online game, you must have your child's username, password (this will be stuck into your children's books) and the school code which is 3lsw (l being a lowercase L). You can access ActiveLearn by clicking on the icon below:
Class shout- outs!
Jana for finishing Juz Amma and thank you for our class treats!