Teachers: Ustadha Naeela (Mon-Wed) and Ustadha Sonya (Wed-Fri)
Teaching Assistant : Ustadh Asadul
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatahu,
Here you can find the latest information on the exciting topics we are learning about, homework, trips, PE days, special visitors and much more.
PE days for Year 5 are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Please ensure your child wears their PE uniform and black trainers on those days.
Year 5 had their first educational trip on Wednesday 20th September 2017.
We visited the National Showcaves Centre for Wales (Dan -Yr-Ogof) where we took a tour of 3 amazingly breathtaking caves (SubhanAllah) and visited the Dinosaur park, the fossil house, the iron age village and the farm/playground. It was a great day out with lots to take in and appreciate.
For more information please go to the website: http://www.showcaves.co.uk/
Year 5 photos of the day:
Our topic for Autumn 1 was DINOSAURS & FOSSILS
In this topic we learnt about:
- Different dinosaurs, their fossils, habitats, feeding and movements
- Process of fossilisation
- Mary Anning and her discoveries in palaeontology
- Charles Darwin and the theory of evolution
- Islamic perspective on evolution
Our topic for Autumn 2 was DIGITAL MINDS
In this topic we learnt about:
- Digital advancements in the last century
- Key information about inventors and entrepreneurs such as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and others
- How to use the common Microsoft software packages
- Programme our own games using coding
Our topic for Spring 1 is WORLD WAR II
In this topic we will learn about:
- The sequence of events during World War II
- The impact on the lives of children and women during the war
- Evacuees and rationing during the war
- The London and Swansea Blitz
The Topic Page:
Well done to all who has completed and presented their power point presentation on the Dinosaurs! What a fantastic first effort by all the children!
About year 5's homework: Year 5 are given various types of homework to consolidate their learning in school. We would really appreciate your help and cooperation in this.
- Weekly- Children get weekly Qur'an memorisation, reading, spelling and maths homework (usually sumdog). Arabic homework will be given as and when needed.
- Half termly- Children will be given a homework grid every half term, which corresponds with activities and tasks to do related to their current topic. The children can choose when to do their taska but do remind them every now and then, so they don't rush it during the last weekend.
- Holidays- Children will get a piece of homework to do over the holidays to prepare them for the next topic.
The Homework Grid for World War II:
Will be uploaded in the following week
Abacus website: https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/start
BBC Bitesize science (light): http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/science/physical_processes/light/play/
BBC Bitesize (sound): http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/science/physical_processes/sound/read/1/BBC Schools World War II : http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/world_war2/
Coding games for kids: https://www.stem.org.uk/news-and-views/opinions/five-top-games-make-coding-easier
Coding game, SCRATCH: https://scratch.mit.edu/